Searching the dm+d
In the search field, start typing the name of a medicine or medical device.
Click on a concept name in the results to show/hide all its children.
Click on to view dm+d information about a concept or product.
Results appear in the following format:
Top-level drug family / Virtual Therapeutic Moiety (VTM)
Route of administration Form,
Virtual Medicinal Product (VMP)
Actual Medicinal Product (AMP)
- Supplier A
- Supplier B
- Size / Colour / Product code 1
- Size / Colour / Product code 2
- Actual Medicinal Product (AMP)
- Virtual Medicinal Product (VMP)
- Route of administration Form,
Search terms can be entered in any order. The following search terms will work.
- Partial names:
A search for 'Ciclo 25' will return Ciclosporin 250mg/5ml solution for infusion ampoules and Ciclosporin 25mg capsules.
'Aspi tab' will return VMPs containing Aspirin in tablet form.
- Brand names
- dm+d identifiers (VTMID, VPID or APID)
- Sizes, colours or product codes where available
- GTIN / EAN barcodes where available
Groups with no top-level drug family
The empty set character ∅ marks concepts which are not linked to a top-level drug family. These include:
- single medical gases;
- medicines with four active ingredients or more;
- most medical devices; and
- generic representations of products with two active ingredients or more, which do not have a name based on international non-proprietary names.
For example: Oxygen, Vitamin B compound strong tablets.
Scan barcodes with a camera
Click on to activate your camera.
Scan a GTIN / EAN barcode (13 or 14 digits) from a pharmaceutical package.
Scanning works better with a clean package in a brightly lit environment.
Be aware that not all products have a GTIN barcode registered in the dm+d database.
Searching for a supplier
In the search field, start typing the name of a supplier.
In the results list, click on a supplier's name to view the medicines and medical devices they have made available in the NHS.
Products are grouped by VTM (Top-level drug family). The empty set character ∅ marks groups which do not have a VTM.
To list all unlicensed medicines, type in 'Special Order' or 'Drug Tariff Special Order'.
To list all imported drugs, type in 'Imported'.